I’ve started my ‘Earth Stories’ piece. After months of mental configurations and even a bit of sketching, this weekend I took rotary cutter to cloth and started in. Actually last week I started in by painting some fabrics for added depth and layering potential. And snagged this wonderful piece of rusted silk organza designed by my friend Dotti Day.
There are many challenges to these pieces which will fit into a 72″ square. This past year I’ve discovered that I really love facing down new challenges in my work allowing my brain and muse to really grow. The stretching for this piece requires some things I rarely do in my work.
First I need to document my process. I always document finished work; but document in process? Never! Seldom do I even sketch. Oftentimes I make a template from a photograph but seldom sketch out a plan. I am simply too spontaneous to stop and contemplate the design on paper! And smart enough to know that despite what the sketch or even the image in my mind dictates, the piece will take on it’s own life during construction.
So not only did I do a sketch for this project but I have begun to take photos chronicling my process and progress. I took photos of painted cloth and piles of cloth on my design table. I have taken photos of day one’s progress and day two. Now the entire piece is laid out on the wall at a 90 degree angle to how it will actually hang I am taking into consideration how to photograph when finished and even shipping cartons and options.
Another stretch is I need to tie this work into the work of a non-profit which is benefitting the planet. After much research earlier this year I found one that closely aligns with my original proposal for the work. As I fretted about how much my design needs to configure into their mission statement I eventually decided to deal with the language when I am finished with the artwork.
Add to all of this the inability to post photos of the work prior to installation. So I will tantalize with bits and pieces as I begin this process in real time. I am excited to get started as the photography of the work is due in November and the work must be complete to be photographed…or should be! Ideally I hope to be finished by summer’s end.
So even though it appears I am playing counting hours of mahjong solitaire online my brain is really quite busy…