This month other than the collaboration it has been a bit of odds n’ ends…
I have finished #8, which I have yet to photograph, in the 25 pc collaboration and am in process of designing #9. I am loving this series so much as it continually challenges me in how to express each particular idea. I don’t draw or sketch well, but Google images can often give me a profile or shape from which to start. And I have a spreadsheet of ideas to incorporate in each one which helps with flow and continuity.
This spring I contributed a 12″ square piece titled Keeping Up Appearances #8 to an annual fundraiser for SAQA. As part of their marketing for the benefit auction different artists choose ‘dream collections’ and mine came up today in the fourth grouping. This piece was designed from a vintage embroidered cotton hand towel.
Also this week I made a 6″ x 6″ stitched block for a colleague who is turning 70 in October. She wants a collection of blocks from friends that reflect her interests. She plans to stitch the blocks together for a big quilt. On her long list of interests was postage stamps. Ironically in the big pile of stuff I amassed from my mother’s things to use in the collaboration were some vintage postage stamps! So I scanned the stamps, collaged in PhotoShop, printed to fabric, made a sandwich, stitched, cut and mailed it off. Voila…the image is above.
And I painted canvas tote bags for an October fundraiser at the Arts Guild of Sonoma. I painted the bags with Dyna-flow and then screen-printed text with Lumiere. They came out fine although not 100% clarity but then I was screening through several layers of folded cloth so I am satisfied. And I am just thrilled to have them finished as I was running out of time. The bags will be on exhibit October 6-26.